Don’t ask me about my sleep habits–I’ll just tell you they’re bad. Eight hours on a workday? We can compromise on five. I’ve got shows to watch and games to play. We only get so many hours in a day.
What I haven’t done often since moving to Taiwan is waking up at 3 am to watch sports teams.
I watch like three or four Seahawks games a year. I barely see the UEFA Champions League. I’ll only catch the Pac-12 college football games that air late Saturday night on the west coast.
Here are the immensely few exceptions of when I prioritized waking up at 3 am for sports games:
- Manchester City in the Champions League semifinals
- Seahawks season openers and playoffs only
- The Mariners playoff games after making the playoffs for the first time in 21 years
- Washington playing in the Rose Bowl for the first time in 18 years
Let me add two more to the list:
- Eastern Washington at Idaho
- Idaho at Idaho State
- Literally any playoff game at any hour of the day
I’m sold. There’s nothing to think about. The rejuvenation of my love for Idaho football is something I refuse to take for granted. This is special and I want to be a part of it.
The Vandals are a must-watch team.
Offense that can run hard and take shots down the field? Check. Defense that flies to the football and forces turnovers? Check. Coach who makes sideline shots look fun as hell? Check. WINNING FOOTBALL CULTURE? A BIG SKY TITLE ON THE LINE? PLAYOFFS? Check. Check. Fricken. Check.
Time to brush up on my nap game, I’m gonna need to be fresh and rested for all the fist pumps and running around the living room I’ll be doing down the stretch.